Thursday, June 9, 2011

Saying Yes

Some time ago, after a major birthday, I had one of those 'woodshed' times with God. For 50 years I had been very busy with undeniably very good things. My goal was not to waste a minute of the time I had been given in this life. What I seldom considered was, what were the best things to do with the time and talent He had given me.  Not enough time had been spent listening to what He deemed best for my good and for His gloryI made the decisions about my life's goals and aspirations. The busier the better, right?

After a series of lessons and sermons from varying sources, I was at a crossroad. "Now what?" Do I continue making my own plans for what He 'expected' from me or was I obedient to what He told me to do and if so, what do I do?

What I heard in the 'woodshed' was "Just say yes." Anytime I knew the Lord was leading me to do something, would I say "Yes." Not more, not less. I promised if He would make it clear it was from Him, I would.

Last year, saying yes required that I would open my home to my elderly mother. Time had taken its tole on both her mind and her body. Dementia had taken her once sharp mind. She would require total care. He had provided me with the home and skills for the job. It was time to say yes.

Saying yes is not the easy path but teaches us life lessons. In the middle of an very emotionally and physically taxing 'mom' day, I was at my wits end.  "I can't do this, Lord. You don't understand, this is just too hard, day after day. You wouldn't ask me to do this. I can't do this any more."

"So" He said to me. "You promised me you would say yes. You promised that no matter what I asked, you would do it.  If I asked  those you love the most to leave and serve me, you'd give them to me. You laid everything on the table and said if I asked you to give up every worldly possession and move across the world, you would. Right now, I'm asking you to stay in your fancy, schamancy air-conditioned house with all its fancy stuff and take care of your own parent and you're saying "No?"

What a wake up call.

Eight months later, He was calling her home. For several days, I did very little but sit at her bedside as she lingered. While there, I received a text from Rachel telling me she was returning to Ethiopia this summer and did I want to go? Say yes.

Yes. By summer Mom would be home and He was calling me to the next thing.

So here I am, soon to be Ethiopia bound.  Mom even left me the money to be able to go, which probably wouldn't have been there if it she'd had to give it for nursing home care.

For my good and for His glory.
Chris

1 comment: